• The Current newspaper has a new layout! contact natashahuynh2015@gmail.com for more information

Edison track sprints to nationals

Jacob Michalik, Sports Editor
March 28, 2012
Filed under Sports

The Edison track team has had a promising season as new young talent tries to keep the Eagle tradition alive. The ultimate goal for any track athlete is to compete and prevail against the very best competition. Fortunately, the best athletes gather at National competitions.

Edison brought several athletes to the National track competition held in New York. Among the athletes that competed were freshman Tirzah Sheppard, sophomore Louis Colson, juniors Eyasu Yirdaw and Shamaal Sheppard, and senior Michael Knopp. The Eagles did an outstanding job displaying what hard work and dedication can do for an athlete.

“It was literally the most inspiring time of my life. Seeing all the top athletes in the nation made me want to work even harder to be better,” said Sheppard.

Sophomore sensation Colson qualified to run the two-mile at the national competition as part of the select group known as the Rising Elite. Colson placed an impressive third in a heat filled with twenty-five competitors. Colson ran the two-miles in nine minutes and twenty-three seconds, a personal best by three seconds.

Shamaal Sheppard, Knopp, Yirdaw, and Colson represented the Edison track team in the boys’ four-by-eight relay. They ran a time of eight minutes and three seconds which set a season paramount.

Freshman Tirzah Sheppard represented Edison by running the girls four-hundred. She ran a time of 64.3 seconds and was the only freshman from Edison to compete at Nationals. “It was inspiring and the people there were so talented – it was amazing to watch,” said Sheppard.

The track team has a bright future with several athletes showing promise for next year and years to come. Track is a sport where the athlete can take his or herself as far as they want, giving they’re willing to put in the work and effort.

“Nationals was a bonus, everybody there was new to the experience. They were definitely awe-struck at the magnitude of the event. Most of them came back with a positive experience. They realized that they can always do more to improve and that there is more for them to stay hungry for,” said Indoor-Track Coach Ivan Chirinos.

The track team is composed of athletes that are developing well under the watch of Cirinos. Athletes endure the vigorous workouts in order to secure a possible spot at a national competition. Athletes often lose the hunger to improve their respective skills, but going to Nationals allows the Edison athletes to glimpse the glory they can achieve.

Comments

Feel free to leave a comment...
and oh, if you want a pic to show with your comment, go get a gravatar!